Saturday, July 21, 2007

KL International Marathon 18th March 2007




Yep...My plan for year 2007 is to run 3 marathons. They are KL International Marathon, Penang International Marathon and the year end 2007 Standard Charterwed Singapore Marathon 2007.

just one month before the 18th March 2007 KL Marathon, I trained with my running buddy whom I have discovered in Church. He is Keng Siak. He also shared the same passion to run however he ran with a good cause to remember his late mother. For me, it is finding another friend in Church sharing the same passion. We trainined together and built good friendship and soul friend.

I organised the trip to KL with hotel booking, coach booking and then the day came. Toegther with Sealboon, Timothy (My brother-in-law) and Keng siak, we travelled from Hougang Kovan Hub to KL.

We stayed at the official hotel where the Kenyan runners also stayed. Mine mine...the morning at 3am, we gathered atthe hotel lobby on 18th March 2007. The bus we took at the hotel that brought us to the start line of the event were loaded with the Elite Runners from Kenyan. They were all dark and we are the few chinese fellows. It was an honour to be in the same bus as them.

The race began at 5am and I was going slow and watchin gmy pace at 6min/km. Slowly as I covered the distance, I picked up speed. The route is hilly and sloppy. I wasn't prepared for such terrain. Half way through the run, I needed to urine and to my surprise there is no mobile toilet and guess what....yep...I just "pee" on the side of the road with other runners running by. This is my first time doing inthe public and so open.

Around the 5km mark, Keng siak came along from behind and we ran together for a while and then he picked up speed and I couldn't see he anymore.

At the 15km mark, IMD and TeeLee came from behind and we ran together for a while and IMD cautioned me to conserve energy as there is a long slope at the highway near the 35km mark. I took his advice and slow down.

At the 25km mark in the city and I saw ahead of me, there were runner in front of me. I was feeling strong and remember Ultraman told me the night before is to concentrate and run and touch the runners in front of me "touch his back and you "overtake" them. I just did that and counted. One..two...nd by the time I cross the 30km mark, it was 30 over runners that I have overtook or rather "touched their back". The upslope at 35km mark was killing.

Finally..into the last 5km and then into the last 2km, I was runnning next to a man form Malaysia. He is a doctor. We chit chat a while as it was just him and me. I aksed him anymore slope to run up. He replied no more. All down and straight to the finishing line at Dataran Merdeka.

We race together and as we got nearer, we could hear the music, the MC loud voice and then....Sotong was standing at the lamp post and called out to me "Kayano"...then next Roonz was getting ready her camera to take a picture shot of me. she raced at the sideroad to try to take a snap shot. I slowed down to let her take a snapshot before racing strong to the finish line. The time was 4hrs 46mins. It was 1 hours better then last year 2006 Standard Chartered Marathon. I have shaved off 1 hours. It is a personal best to me.

I was looking for Keng Siak my running buddy and couldn't find him. Finally he saw me and he just came back 10 minutes after me. He slowed down due to a cramp and searching for toilet. The night before, I took a glass of salt water and it helped to prevent cramp as advised by Ultraman as he smsed m the night to remind me to take salt water. I told Keng Siak, Sealboon and Timothy to take as well. They laughed at me. Guess what ? Keng Siak, Sealboon and Timothy experienced cramp during their run. For me....my turn to laugh at them when they tell. Thanks Ultraman.


It was a good oversea 1st marathon run. I will never go back to KL for the marathon. The terrain is killing especially the many upslope on the highway. Atleast about 5 of them.

In this journey, met a new friend Edward and his sister Apple. Edward ran the ful marathon while his sister did the 10km run. A nice pair of brother and sister.

Well, for me I have a nice brother Keng Seng and the company of a SGRunners at the events.

Cheers !

No comments: